Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Soup Nazi strikes again.

Things that are slightly scary: Tomorrow is the first day of October. [seriously- where did September go?]

Things that are more than slightly exciting: Fall is officially here. [hip hip hooray!]

Although the first day of autumn official rolled in last week, it’s beginning to become even more apparent that fall has arrived; the cooler temps, early leave changing, and fall-type produce filling up the stores shout to me daily.  And let me tell you, I love fall.

College Football. Pumpkin Spice Soy Lattes. Hooded Sweatshirts. Leaves changing. Leaves Falling. Leaves Crunching under my feet.  Farmers Markets filled with Pumpkins, and Squash, and Bushels upon Bushels of Apples.  Green ones. And Red Ones. Crunchy and Sweet. Crisp Air. Bonfires, which leave the smell of smoke in your hair overnight. Pre-Holiday Excitement (before all the hustle & Bustle sets in).  And Thick, Warm Dinners of chili or soup. [and this is only the beginning].



Last night I found myself dodging puddles on my way into Panera for a dinner appointment. It was dark and cool outside, and the drizzle of the chilly rain was awakening.  I’ve been on a mission to try new things since July, and I knew I had to pick something off the menu I hadn’t had before.  I finally settled on a cup of Summer Corn Chowder and ½ a Grilled Mozzarella & Tomato Sandwich. Both were excellent and the portion size was so large I was able to take some home with me for lunch leftovers today which is a definite bonus to any tasty meal, if you ask me.

The bold flavor and creamy warm goodness of the soup left my brain a wandering to all the great ingredients I have in my kitchen to experiment with, soup-style.  And then I realized that a Soup Recipe Swap would be JUST THE TICKET to open up October with a happy spoon, and a happy tummy. 

So, I challenge YOU, dear reader, to join the swap. How wonderful would it be to expand your menus for the next few months with a few pots of deliciousness that keep you warm and filled with goodness?



Are you in? Super Internet Soup Swap 2009 Instructions:

DECIDE:  Do you already have a go-to favorite soup recipe you would like to share? Are you feeling creative and wanting to spend a little time experimenting in the kitchen? Are you itching to try using your favorite ingredient in a soup?

SEND: Once you have your recipe ready, send me a copy to mooreshugar@gmail.com  Please feel free to include a photo of your soup, and/or a description of your experience if you’d like. Please have all recipes sent to me by October 15th.

GIVE: If you are a blogger, feel free to share your soup recipe, experience and photos on your blog with your readers.  If you do not blog, feel free to share your recipe the “old fashioned way” ;)

TAKE: I will be posting all the recipes I receive (and a few of my own favorites) on ThenHeatherSaid throughout October and November. If you would like your blog/website to be featured when I post your soup recipe, please include this information in the email.




Finally, I will leave you with this;

Six Reasons to Swap Soup
1. Warm Soup Warms the Soul

2. Freeze Attack – making soup in a big batch and freezing smaller portions for later is such a great way to get home cooked meals on busy days!

3. Bloggers:  Soup + Swap = link love
4. Soup is a great way to use up “last day” produce.  Get inspired by some veggies on their last leg.
5. You may find your go-to “what to bring” dish.
6. Soup is great for sharing


Then Heather Said, “Yes! Soup for You!”

3 comments:

  1. I love it!! I already have a great recipe for White Bean and Escarole soup. I will be sharing it with you as soon as I get my hands on the written recipe. I usually wing it, but one time I wrote down the exact measurements. I will get back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,
    I love soup! I haven't visited your blog in awhile, and before I say I'm sorry about your experience, I want to say what a great attitude you have! You are strong and might I say, a great writer!
    I will try to get a couple soup recipes to you soon (because I would love more recipes in return!!!). Now, if only I can choose which ones to send...
    Your cousin (-in-law?),
    Aimee Shugarman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I love soup.

    As soon as I get back from Austin City Limits this weekend, I'm going to work on getting this to you. Only problem...I have no idea which soup to trade. I've got several favorites.

    ReplyDelete

New to ThenHeatherSaid?

Welcome to my little corner of the world [wide web].
I believe it was Mrs. Potts who said, "It's always best to start at the beginning." If this is your first time, why not jump back to where it all started: http://thenheathersaid.blogspot.com/2009/09/day-after.html

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter