Friday, October 23, 2009

Follow Friday

Sometimes people ask me how I’ve been losing so much weight.
I’ve lost somewhere around 25 pounds in the past 10 monts. [I don’t know the exact number because I’m on a scale hiatus as I train for races this fall. I stopped stepping on the scale once I reached the 20 pound loss because my goals had shifted from “lose 30 lbs by Thanksgiving” (something I am still striving for), to “Run. Faster. Longer.” When Mid-November comes around, I will probably start keeping track of loss again per week]

I have a long list of things that have helped me on my “get healthy” journey. I plan on going into these things more in-depth as time goes on, as I’ve gotten a few emails lately inquiring my “tricks & tips.” Ha. Sorry to sound cliché, but healthy food & exercise are key. [of course, there are TIPS to helping these things become part of your lifestyle- THIS is the long list mentioned above, which I will touch on later.]

But there is something I want to share that has helped me with my path to “healthy”.

When I first decided to stop being lazy and do something about my health, I joined an online community, Sparkpeople. From the Sparkpeople homepage: “SparkPeople is growing into one of the largest free diet and health-related sites in the world.”

I liked using sparkpeople for many different reasons. But that’s not what I wanted to share. [I promise I will talk about the goodness that is sparkpeople at some point, but not today.]

What I do want to share with you, is perhaps best summarized by a quote of my sparkpeople profile “my program” section:

“The one thing that has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE for me is accountability within my spark friends. And I've taken it BEYOND just the spark. There are two girls in particular whom I talk to EVERYDAY outside of the spark check ins that help me force the hard times, say no to icees, and celebrate the victories in my life. Having people who understand my struggles and have vowed to keep me accountable even outside of this web community has helped TREMENDOUSLY.
Get yourself a spark buddy: NOW.”

Meet Laura & Stef. They are each on their own “Healthy Living” journey, too- and they are both now chronicling their journey via blogs.

Laura and Stef and I met through sparkpeople, but I don’t consider them “spark friends” anymore. They are my REAL LIFE friends now. I’ve already met Stef in real life once, and the three of us will be spending some time together in Boston the first weekend of November. (we are running the Boston Luv 5K together on the 8th!) I am so excited for some LSH fun!

Laura recently decided to go back to school to become a RD- she is the woman who inspired me to turn my walking into running. She lives in Texas and has all the southern charm of peach cobbler, but with out the fat. She is a wonderful and dedicated friend, super funny, and all about living life the way SHE wants to, not the way the world may want her to; which I think is fabulous.

Stef just started a new job. She is in the middle of a move. She is getting married this summer. She is facing a world of changes and she is doing it with grace and style! Stef calls both Boston and New York home, and splits her time between both, often. She is an all-star at making weekends away healthy and this girl is known for lifting like a man to look like a goddess. (she is such a motivation for me to get to the weight room!) This girl has pizzazz and knows how to use it while she is facing a life full of changes.

These girls are real. Honest and Genuine and know how to bring it. They keep me in line and encourage me on my rough days (sometimes without even knowing it). I’m definitely a fan of both of their blogs: Go check them out.
Laura & Stef.

4 comments:

  1. This made me CRY! Omgosh so sweet. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely check out their blogs.
    And hey, I used Sparkpeople too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably one of THE sweetest things I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog via your Operation Beautiful pumpkin (so cute!) I love your writing style, and I noticed you lived in Wisconsin and are now in NY. I go to UW-Madison (go, Badgers!), and am moving to Ithaca, NY in June!

    ReplyDelete

New to ThenHeatherSaid?

Welcome to my little corner of the world [wide web].
I believe it was Mrs. Potts who said, "It's always best to start at the beginning." If this is your first time, why not jump back to where it all started: http://thenheathersaid.blogspot.com/2009/09/day-after.html

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter