Friday, October 9, 2009

Inaugurating Peace

When I was going through my notebooks the other day, I came across this letter I had written to a future love of my life. I had scheduled to post this on Sunday, but seeing as today is an extra special Friday, I figured I should go ahead with it.

A little history:
President Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize this morning. He is the third seated President of the United States to win the prize, following Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson. When Alfred Nobel wrote his will, he made sure to include that the peace prize should go “to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses.” All of the other Nobel Prizes are awarded by Swedish institutions; but the Peace Prize is awarded by a five-member committee elected by the Norwegian Parliament. (this is because at the time of Nobel’s death, Sweden and Norway were united under the same parliament.)

I know there will be discussion and debate over the warrants of this award, President Obama’s deserving it or not, what he has done, what he has yet to do, what each of us personally would do if we were in his position. But the truth is, we are not in his position. He is our President and I put my trust in the office.

Then Heather said, “Congratulations, Mr. President.”




A blurb from Heather’s personal journal:


January 20, 2009

Today is historic.
I suppose all days are historic, in theory, but today is a day we will look back on in our old age and say “remember when” “I was here” and “I felt this”.

Today reeks of change.

I pray that one day, I have babies.
I pray they are brilliant.
And I pray that right now, you, my beautiful, wonderful, most perfect child, are reading this with eagerness to know your mother and who she was “back in the day”. To learn more about her growing up, her thoughts, her experiences, and the world that surrounds her.

And let me continue to tell you, TODAY IS SPECIAL.

Barak Obama was sworn in as the 44th President of these United States of America.

The first African American president.
The first President to be born of two parents of different races.
The first President whose election was made possible by the voice & votes of young America.

[by the way, my child: your vote. Your voice. Your life. Matters. ]

Today I worked my simple, yet splendid, office job.

At 11:45 AM, I joined my coworkers in the break room to watch ABC’s coverage of the inauguration. It didn’t matter who we voted for, it was a moment in history to remember, and so all of us, registered or not, democrat, republican or independent joined together to witness the celebration and ceremony of it all.

After President Obama placed his hand on the Lincoln Bible and swore to be the best President he could be…

[and who could ask for more, really? You, my child, take his lead, and be the BEST you can be, in ALL things.]

I listened to President Obama give a terrific 17 minute speech. And afterwards, I printed it off from the internet and highlighted the parts that gave me chills and made me shed a tear. In order that I could document this here…

Here is my most favorite part:

“Let it be said by our children’s children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God’s grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations.”

I pray, tonight, over your life. That you know what freedom is in your life. And I pray that you respect freedom. And celebrate freedom- both in the large and the small. In the outrageous and the common.

Tonight, I will watch DVDs of The West Wing with friends – to laugh, and dream, and learn with loved ones as I continue to let the truth of today seep in.

Beyond today, the truth is: I love you. Already. and Always. and Forever.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this, Heath. :) Also, thanks for the background on the Nobel Peace Prize. I appreciate that you like to research and know the history behind events.

    ReplyDelete

New to ThenHeatherSaid?

Welcome to my little corner of the world [wide web].
I believe it was Mrs. Potts who said, "It's always best to start at the beginning." If this is your first time, why not jump back to where it all started: http://thenheathersaid.blogspot.com/2009/09/day-after.html

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter